Sunday 17 December 2006

The auditions

I'm SO glad they are over, as much as enjoyed them. It's a big burden off, and now I can have a stress-free holiday with no more practising and no more cutting of nails! I've never been able to do that before. :D

I really enjoyed both of the Melbourne universities auditions. In Melbourne University, I was auditioned by the professor himself in his office, and I actually got to play Liebestraum on a Steinway and Sons piano! I just couldn't believe it! I'd always wanted to play on one ever since I gaped open mouthed at Lang Lang's performance on a 'Steinway and Sons' on tv. I got the right sound I wanted too.

Monash was a little cooler. In fact, out of all the universities I auditioned at, Monash is my favourite. I absolutely loved the place and the people there! Let me tell you something: Melbourne people are the most friendly, outgoing people I have ever met in all my travels around Australia. I mean I didn't even ask for directions or anything, and these people come up to me and ask if I need help! just wow... I only wish Monash were a little more well known in the world. *sigh*

Sydney Conservatorium of Music? Impressive building and all, but it's so intimidating and so competitive. I can't imagine studying there. It's like trying to study for an exam in an eisteddfod hall and its tensed atmosphere! Seriously. Even before the audition, I told myself that I didn't want to study here. And somehow, my wish came true. I played so badly- I've seriously never played so badly in my entire life- that I'm pretty sure I'll not get in. I'll think the audition panel nuts if they actually accept me. I really flunked my Sight Reading too! The sight reading was so mean! It's actually like trying to perform a Schumann piece without even looking at it beforehand. (I chose Schumann because the piece looked so much like Schumann's compositions. I wouldn't even be surprised if it is.) They had chords, demi-semiquavers, quavers, triplets, crotchets in just 2 bars!!! It was crazy. It think it was so mean to give such a piece.

Australian National University in Canberra came next in line. I had to wake up at 5am just to drive down there to take the aural test at 9:15am, and I only just made it because the professor in charge of the aural test was kind enough to wait for all the late students. The morning traffic didn't help at all. There seemed to be only one road to the university, and every person staying in Canberra had to use it that time of the day. Any other time would've been fine, but just then when I was already rushing for time! ANU seemed so deserted! There were no staff to show people around. I had to get help from a librarian! And the condition of the piano I played on in the practice room was simply atrocious. (To be fair, nobody wanted that room because it had no lock or even doorknob! So it must have been the worst piano in the whole level.)

The audition for this went well, really well, and I had a nice chat with the 4 'judges' telling them why a person from WA would want to come all the way over to ACT to study music there. Well, I told them that I actually didn't choose ANU (supposedly the no. 1 ranking uni in all of Australia) as my no. 1 choice, and that if I had a choice I would've like to study at either of the universities in Melbourne. Yeah very nice stuff to tell these people huh? I had to tell them the truth! I don't fancy being stuck in boring Canberra for the next 4 years of my life! To be sure, I would practise the piano a lot harder if I studied there, but that is NOT the point!

haha... the funny thing is, I am only supposed to know whether or not I'll be accepted, in January, but one of the ANU 'judges' (the one who asked my why I chose ANU)came out not long after I was dismissed, and met my mum and I waiting for my dad to drive the car around. He introduced himself to my mum (or tried to, at least, because we were talking -my mum and I- and she didn't hear him, so I... uh... introduced them? This person who I've only known for less than 1/2 and hour of my life to my mum. lol. Anyway, he offered me a place there instantly, and seemed to be really anxious for me to go there (I guess it was from his anxiety at my recital of the different unis I applied to!) so he decided to show me around! He brought both of us (my mum and I) to the concert room- that was probably the NICEST room in the whole school and told us that ANU had the best concert hall in Australia. :) Better than Sydney opera house? hmmm.... it was very nice.

Yes, so I already have a place in Canberra if I wanted it! yay. I'll have only to wait for the acceptance letters from the others in January...

University of New South Wales audition just went okay. Not bad, but not excellent either. The best part of studying at UNSW is that I get to choose my own teacher from outside, and then UNSW will fund my lessons. UWA doesn't do that. I'll be stuck with the teacher assigned to me. ugh.

Oh yeah, and I also got ripped off at the cafe there. They actually charge $3 for a bottle of pepsi! It's got to be the most expensive bottle of anything that I ever bought in my life! humph. I thought I packed my bottle of water, but it ended up that I left it somewhere else besides my bag, so... after waiting a long while, I gave up and finally paid the $3 just for a drink! grrr....

yes, and during the aural test for UNSW, the student conducting the test had the same last name as me. He collected my sheet, caught sight of my name and then told me so about 15 seconds later. No wonder he was smiling at me after he collected my sheet!

Ok, enough done recounting done I think. I better go. Catch up next time. adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, thoughts, feelings, memories, experiences, receipes? Please share!