Friday 23 May 2008

The holiness of God

A couple of days ago I found a "letter" which I wrote as a project some years back. I didn't even know stuff from so long ago still existed. I thought they'd all be thrown away during one of my mass room clearings. :) (It's amazing the kind of things still floating around somewhere in our house.)

Anyway, the letter was to be written to a friend telling him/her about the holiness of God.

The letter is dated 20th April 2001

Dear friend,

God's holiness is not simply the best we know: infinitely better. We know nothing like the divine holiness. It stands apart, unique, unapproachable, incomprehensible, and unattainable. The natural man is blind to it. He may fear God's power and admire his wisdom, but His holiness he cannot even imagine.

The holiness of God is incomprehensible. It is an awesome mystery, surrounding, and enfolding the universe. It can never be intellectually conceived. Only sensed and felt in the depths of the human spirit.

By,
Abigail Ong

When I read it again (it's so powerful to read stuff you wrote years ago), I was just amazed at what I was taught at the age of 11, and forgotten since. And it really is true. God is so holy that we cannot even begin to fathom the glory, and majesty of the I AM who sits and reigns on His throne as King forever and ever. The holy, unapproachable, perfect, Nonesuch. Before whom we will all have to bow and worship one day. And it will truly be a joy and honour to worship this holy God who despite his elevated status, humbled Himself, became Man, and substituted His holy, perfect, blameless, sinless Self in my place. He died for me- He paid for my sins so that I could one day meet Him in heaven and bow before His holiness. You see, it is because of His holiness that no one can meet Him. No one in sin can enter heaven to meet this holy God. But because the perfect, holy God became the world's scapegoat, we are holy and righteous too. And someday, after I die, I will meet Him face to face.

Do you have that same assurance? If you die in your sins, without accepting God's 'substitution' of His righteousness for yours, you will not be allowed into heaven. You will be punished for your sins. You will end up in hell.

Because God is holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, thoughts, feelings, memories, experiences, receipes? Please share!